Notification function helps you alert a member if you wish to bring to their attention about an update, task, or action. In addition, you will be notified automatically when a task is assigned to you or you are added to a new project in Backlog.
If you wish to notify a member when creating an issue or comment, you can do so with the mention function.
How to notify a member
While updating your issue or comment, you can easily notify the member or team with the mention function.
To notify a member or a team,
- Go to the issue description or comment section.
- Enter @ (alias) followed by the member’s Unique ID in the text box.
[eg: Hello @uniqueid]
- While entering @, a members’ dropdown list will prompt. You can continue entering the member’s Unique ID, and the members’ list will be filtered based on the keyword.
- When an issue or comment is added or updated, the mentioned members or team will get the notification in Backlog.
- Unique ID is a user ID that is used for @mention function to notify a specific member. We recommend updating your Unique ID to your user name or something similar, as this helps other members to look for your name.
- For Nulab Account users, you can edit your Unique ID in your Nulab Account Profile page.
- For Backlog Classic Space users, it is referred to as User ID set in your Personal Settings.
- Types of mention:
- @ Members (UniqueID or User ID)
To notify an individual member.
- @ Participants
Refers to the members that have been previously notified or work within the task.
- @ Teams
You can find teams at the end of the member’s dropdown list (ordered by members, followed by the teams).
When a team is mentioned, all the member’s ID within the team will be displayed.
- Mention list sorting:
- Members will be sorted alphabetically (by Unique ID first).
- Members will also be sorted based on the recent assignee, recent commenter, or issue creator within the task.
- Teams will be sorted alphabetically.
- If a mention is followed with a Unique ID that does not exist within the Backlog space, the notify function will not activate, and it will display as a normal text.
- If a mention is inputted as quoted text, it will be treated as a normal text and the mention function will not be activated. Meaning, you are unable to notify members in a text quote format.
- Mention function is not supported in Git nor pull requests.
If you notify members or teams in an issue or comment, the profile icons of notified members will be displayed in the comment section (1).
Once the notified members read the comment or updates, there will be a check symbol displayed on the notified member’s profile icon (1).
- When hovering over to the mentioned member, it will display the user profile and name (2).
- If click on the mentioned members, it will redirect to the member’s activity page.
Note: If the member reads the notification via email, their profile icon on the comment section will not be checked.
Summary of notifications
Editing personal settings: user information
Editing your Nulab Account profile
View and create teams